What is the EDE CORE Bootcamp?
The EDE CORE bootcamp is an intense 4-day hands-on workshop designed for participants to obtain full independent practitioner certification at the end of the course. This is the only 4-day bootcamp in the country and includes a CPOCUS approved introductory course. We are one of the lowest-priced courses in the country. No prior ultrasound experience or training is required. There will be approximately 100 live models.
It consists of 3 parts:
- EDE Core Precourse and Course
- Scans required for CPoCUS IP certification in Acute Care Core
- Exams required for CPoCUS IP certification in Acute Care Core
Participants will learn to perform scans for:
- Detection of global cardiac activity
- Pericardial effusions
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms
- Intra-abdominal hemorrhage
- Pleural effusions
- Intrauterine pregnancies (transabdominal).
- Bootcamps in Regina will include transvaginal intrauterine pregnancy scans (performed on a training simulation model or live model depending on availability). Some courses will not include intrauterine pregnancy teaching. This will be stated on the course registration page.
Access to the online mandatory precourse will be sent to participants approximately 4 weeks prior to the bootcamp. The precourse is a critical component for being successful at the bootcamp. It is suggested to schedule a minimum of 10 hours for it. It is a mandatory requirement to be completed prior to arrival on the first day. If not completed, you will not be successful at the bootcamp and refunds will not be issued.
EDE CME Credits
College of Family Physicians of Canada
Accredited Group Learning Program – 30hrs Mainpro+
Non-certified Group Learning – 24hrs Mainpro+
This activity has not been formally reviewed by the CFPC; however, it is eligible for non-certified credits. Mainpro+ participants may also earn additional certified credits by completing a Linking Learning Experience.
College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
Accredited Simulation Activity (Section 3) – 20hrs Mainport
Unaccredited Group Learning Activities (Section 1) – 12hrs Mainport
- Day 1 – 7:15 am – 6 pm – EDE course.
- Day 2 – 7:15 am – 6 pm – 40 scanning stations with live models.
- Day 3 – 7:15 am – 6 pm – 30 scanning stations with live models, written exams and practical exams. A social will be held in the evening for participants that wish to attend and instructors. (*Socials may not be offered at all courses)
- Day 4 – 7:15 am – 5 pm – Visual Exams and rewrites. Participants will be scheduled in 3 time slots with a preference for earlier time slots given to those traveling.
Participants will be partnered up at a scanning station. Each participant will have an allotted time to scan the model while their partner observes. The allotted time will start at 8 mins for the first station and will decrease as the bootcamp progresses. Participants will be notified when to switch with their partner and when to move to the next station. Partners will be changed throughout the bootcamp. There may be solo participants depending on overall participant numbers.
Participants must successfully pass all 3 CPoCUS exams.
- Written Exam to assess knowledge base. The Written Exam is conducted on a computer with a pass score of 85%.
- Practical Exam to assess image generation skills. The Practical Exam is conducted on a live model with a pass score of 100%. The examiner uses a detailed checklist of the essential skills required of all IP candidates. An IP candidate’s training should be sufficient to allow them to pass the Practical exam without any hesitation in performing skills and without any prompting from the examiner.
- Visual Exam to assess image interpretation skills and the ability to integrate POCUS findings into clinical care. The Visual Exam is conducted on a computer with a pass score of 85% and is 3-4 hours long. These exams take place with a CPoCUS instructor using an interactive video presentation. Candidates are shown images and video clips and are asked to interpret images and incorporate findings into case scenarios.
A valid CPoCUS account with up-to-date membership dues is required for the written and visual exams. This is a different login than the EDE precourse login.
If required, we will provide one written and one practical exam rewrite opportunity. Any subsequently required written or practical rewrites will be your responsibility to arrange. Visual rewrites will be your responsibility to arrange. We will try to provide you with the names of potential examiners in your location.
At the end of the first day, you will need to complete the Conclusion module of the precourse and evaluation. When you finish this, you will be able to access your EDE Course certificate.
At the end of the bootcamp if the participant has completed all required scans and passed all exams, an application for Independent Practitioner Certification will be submitted to CPoCUS. Please see CPoCUS for more information on IP Certifications.
The bootcamp is designed to provide all requirements (scans, written exam, practical exam and visual exam) needed for certification. However, we are not able to guarantee that a participant will successfully pass each component during the bootcamp.
It remains the responsibility of the participant to complete all precourse learning, achieve all required scans, and pass all required exams before an application of independent practitioner status can be submitted.